Walsingham Academy has a long and proud tradition in athletics, fielding competitive, interscholastic teams since the school’s founding in 1947. During Walsingham’s early years, the boys’ teams were known as the Apostles, while the girls competed under the name Mariettes, a dichotomy that lasted through the 1967-1968 school year. Today, the Trojans compete in the Tidewater Conference of Independent Schools (TCIS) and participate in state championships governed by the Virginia Independent Schools Athletic Association (VISAA).
The vision for the future of athletics at Walsingham Academy is the development of a model program that is admired and emulated for consistent athletic excellence, disciplined play, academic success, and the personal growth of our student athletes. Our program will be a strong contributing member of our community and communicate a presence that demonstrates character and integrity.
The Walsingham Academy Athletic department has two primary purposes: to serve the student and to serve the school.
Serve the Student
- Provide a meaningful and rewarding experience for the student athlete by creating a program culture that fosters positive growth athletically, academically, and personally.
- Provide expert coaching that will put our student athletes in position to succeed to their fullest potential.
- Model and communicate high expectations for our student athletes, both in competition and in the classroom, while providing the necessary support to achieve at high levels.
- Challenge student athletes by moving them out of their comfort zone, allowing them opportunities to gain pride and confidence through well-earned achievements.
Serve the School
- Function as a unifying force for the school community: a common bond in which faculty, staff, alumni, students, and the greater community can take pride.
- Enhance and project the positive image of Walsingham Academy as a place of integrity and excellence.
- Assist in overall recruiting for the school by offering excellent programs that appeal to high quality students.
- Provide an avenue for increased revenue for the school through contributions of donors who support athletics.
The mission starts and ends there. We remain dedicated to it and driven by it. As a school and as an athletic department we will continue to serve our students and community by providing not just a top flight, college preparatory education, but also numerous avenues for challenge and growth allowing our students to excel and meet the challenges of the future.
Athletics Hotline: (757) 259-1407