The Upper School serves young women and men in the Grades 8-12. Our students are energetic, curious and compassionate, and our challenging college preparatory curriculum and extra-curricular programs help them grow into committed, active, confident young adults. With an emphasis on learning the skills necessary to be successful in the 21st century, teachers journey with students as they learn how to make a real difference in the world. Walsingham students explore, discover and develop their gifts, so that they can assume responsibility as mature participants in a pluralistic society.
- Family Directories sent home today: A copy of the 2016-17 Family Directory was sent home on October 20 with one student per family. Directories were placed in the backpacks of Lower School students and distributed to Upper School students in their English classes.
- Host Families sought: Each year, students come from all over the world to study at Walsingham Academy. Some of these students will live with family members, but many will live in our community with host families. We are currently looking for two host families for 10th Grade students, one from Australia and the other from Germany. We are in need of homes for these students as soon as possible. We are also looking for a host family beginning in January for a young man in the 9th Grade from China. Please contact Director of Admissions Richard Plank (757) 259-1430 or email@example.com to learn more about what a wonderful opportunity it can be to host an international Student.
- Winter Uniforms begin 11/1: The first day of Winter Uniforms for the entire Academy is Tuesday, November 1. Refer to the respective Student & Family Handbooks for guidelines.
- 1:00 Dismissal on 11/22: The Academy will have a 1:00 dismissal on Tuesday, November 22 in honor of the Thanksgiving holiday.
- Enrichment Opportunity: William & Mary's School of Education is hosting "Focusing on the Future: A Career and Academic Planning Experience" on Saturday, February 4, which exposes high-ability learners in Grades 6-12 to career opportunities related to the arts, humanities, mathematics, and sciences. For more information, click here.
- Private Music Lessons available: Private music lessons are available for the following instruments: piano (Grades K-12); clarinet (Grades 4-8); and flute, saxophone, trumpet, trombone, and percussion (Grades 5-12). Click here for an information sheet.
Upper School Announcements
- Trunk or Treat on 10/28: There will be an Academy-wide Trick or Trunk event from 5:30-6:30 PM on Friday, October 28, followed by a bonfire from 6:30-7:00ish for Upper School students. There is no special dress down day at the Upper School on October 28. Any Upper School student who would like to decorate their car and participate in the trick-or-trunk should see Ms. Davenport for details.
- Costumes allowed on 10/31: Upper School students will be allowed to wear costumes during the school day on Monday, October 31. They may NOT wear masks, face paint, anything lewd or skimpy, or clown costumes. All costumes must allow for the students to fit in a desk.
- Academy-wide mass on 11/1: Upper School students should be in winter uniforms with blazers.
- Ring Day is 11/4: The junior class will be celebrated with the Ring Day Ceremony and prayer service beginning at 10:30 AM. Upper School students are to wear their blazers. The ceremony will begin a 10:30 AN. Junior parents are encouraged to arrive early for preferential seating. The ceremony will be followed by a reception in the library for juniors and their families.
- Ring Dance is 11/5: Students in Grades 9-12 are welcome to attend. Tickets are $20 and will go on sale on Monday, October 31. The dance is semi-formal and will be held at the Upper School.
- US Yearbook Information: Click here to place your order for the 2016-17 Upper School Yearbook; orders are due March 31. Click here to purchase a senior advertisement; ads must be placed by February 3. Contact Katherine LeMay at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
- Winter Sports Tryout Information: Walsingham offers interscholastic teams in swimming and basketball for Upper School students. Tryouts for most teams begin the week of October 31. Click here for more information.
- Come cheer on the Trojans! Walsingham hosts four games this week, including Varsity Boys Soccer’s TCIS Quarterfinal match against #5 seed Norfolk Collegiate on Tuesday, October 25 at 4:00 PM, and Varsity Volleyball’s Senior Night against Peninsula Catholic on Tuesday, October 25 at 6:00 PM. Click here for the full athletics calendar.
Upper School Information
As a proud member of VHS, Walsingham Academy expands its course catalog exponentially by providing online courses to our students. Walsingham students can gain online classroom experience as well as take unique courses like Mandarin Chinese or software programming.
Please visit Flynn & O’Hara School Uniforms for all of your uniform needs!